Friday, July 9, 2010

Citybration Weekend!

I adore farmers markets. There's just something about home-made specialty breads, and fresh produce and the people who work hard to bring it to me. It makes me sublimely happy and tastes so much better than anything you'll find at the grocery store (even Wegmans!) So, last Saturday I headed to the farmers market on Bidwell, where my brother and I quickly devoured a pint of fresh raspberries. 

Happily, last weekend was also Citybration; a weekend-long series of events designed to encourage Buffalonians, ex-pats, and tourists to celebrate Buffalo. As a part of Citybration, Bidwell Parkway was host not only to the weekly farmers market, but also to this season's Indie Market. I was impressed by the great turnout in spite of the damp weather. I knew Buffalo was full of talent, but even I was surprised and delighted to discover some of the beautiful things created by the talented artisans at the market. These talented individuals include my dear friends the Jacobis, and their vintage Buffalo t-shirt designs. The Queen City Shirt Company pays homage to Buffalo's past with designs including the Iroquois Beer logo, Courier Express newspaper masthead, and lots of other great designs. I encourage anyone with Buffalo pride to visit them at their next event, or check them out on facebook.


I have been wanting to check out the Western New York Book Arts Collaborative since I read about the center's opening last spring. One of my favorite classes in school was printmaking, and I've always wanted to continue working in that medium. When I found out that the WNYBAC was participating in Citybration weekend, I finally went to check the place out. I was not disappointed. The center is in a beautiful space downtown and serves as a studio for local artists as well as gallery space for members. They also sell materials and member work including bound books, and prints. What I'm most excited about, however, is the full schedule of classes and workshops. I'm looking forward to getting a little refresher in linoleum printing as well as learning the art of bookbinding! Classes are relatively inexpensive and materials are provided.

 


I finished up my day at the Buffalo Place Rocks the Harbor concert. (Last week's headliners were Donna the Buffalo, and Moe.) I haven't been to one of these shows since they moved from the old location years ago and I have to say that it is such a gorgeous spot! The backdrop of the water and commercial slip on one side and the cityscape on the other is lovely, and the long stretch of land is perfect for a big crowd to spread out. Summer in Buffalo means a lot of really great live music, and this is one of the cheap options in a fantastic venue.





This weekend is the annual Taste of Buffalo festival. If you're in town, don't forget to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment