Monday, November 29, 2010

Autumn in the Queen City

I didn't think anything could top summertime in Buffalo. Then came October. What an amazing time to be in this city! The weather was phenomenal and there was so much to do.

One beautiful Sunday afternoon my parents and I went on a walking tour of Forest Lawn cemetery. I've always loved spending time in Forest Lawn and really enjoy learning about the history of the place. Some people get a little turned off by the idea of hanging out in a cemetery, but Forest Lawn is really so much more than just a grave yard. It's a park, a museum, an art gallery, and a nature preserve. The landscape is beautiful, the history is rich, and the memorials are some of the most beautiful architecture and sculpture in the city.



The tours are over for the season, but will start again in the spring. I enjoy tours, but Forest Lawn is open to the public year-round for those who would rather explore it on their own, or don't want to wait until June. Some highlights to check out include final resting place of President Millard Filmore, the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Blue Sky Mausoleum, and the ornate Blocher Memorial. In addition to the tours, Forest Lawn has an on-going event schedule.

Another tour I got to check out was Mason Winfield's Ghost Walk of Allentown. I had been looking forward to checking out the ghost tours for years, and was looking forward to hearing the history behind the ghost stories. Honestly, I was a little disappointed when a lot of the tour had to do with people losing their keys, or dogs barking when nothing was there. I can't speak to all of the Mason Winfield tours, and I'll probably go on another one next year. I hope when I do I'll hear more about the history of the buildings and the people who lived in them.

In addition to enjoying Forest Lawn and the Ghost Walk, I got to spend a sunny afternoon lounging on Bidwell Parkway with my best friend, hit the farmers market for some awesome local produce, and get fresh apples at one of Buffalo's many apple orchards. There were also some great Oktoberfest events and Halloween parties to enjoy. Now the holidays are here and I can't wait to see what awesome experiences I'll have in the Queen City this season!

3 comments:

  1. I can't speak to all of the Mason Winfield tours, and I'll probably go on another one next year. I hope when I do I'll hear more about the history of the buildings and the people who lived in them.
    brifly explain click here: Gmail Klantenservice

    ReplyDelete

  2. This is, in my opinion, one of the most important pieces of information for me.

    And it's a pleasure to read your content. But I'd like to make a few general remarks.
    The website design is fantastic, and the content is superb.
    --------------
    Gmail Bellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you want to contact a techniian for any query or support go to

    Google Bellen

    ReplyDelete